Located directly across Nebraska Avenue from American University, Metropolitan has a rich and growing relationship with AU students, faculty, and staff. We partner with the AU United Methodist Chaplain to support the AU Methodist/Protestant worshiping community in several ways.
- Once a month, volunteers join the students for their Sunday evening worship and provide home cooked food for the fellowship time which follows the service.
- Students are welcome to participate in the full life and ministry of the church, especially through the service ministries of Campus Kitchen and Grate Patrol, and through weekly Bible studies.
- The AU Lounge at Metropolitan Memorial is a room dedicated to our student neighbors. The Lounge has free Wifi and is stocked with snacks and drinks. It is a place for students to relax, socialize and study. Students can gain access to the lounge during church office hours by requesting the key at the reception desk.
- Free Food Friday. It’s free. It’s food (pizza). It’s on Fridays. Every week during the academic year, we provide pizza lunch and conversation in the AU Lounge, 11 am-2 pm.
- Each August, team members attend welcome week activities organized by the United Methodist Chaplain to extend a greeting to new students from the church.
The activities of the campus ministry team have nurtured many connections between team members and AU students. To expand the opportunities to form relationships beyond the committee, we sponsor or co-sponsor one to two service projects each year to foster intergenerational opportunities for students and congregants to serve together.
If you are interested in learning more about our programs, contact Janet Craswell.