Gun Violence Prevention
Responding to the 2016 General Conference of the United Methodist Church Resolution #3428 “Our Call to End Gun Violence” and following the lead of the United Methodist General Board of Church and Society and national groups such as Faiths United, The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, Moms Demand Action and Everytown for Gun Safety, Metropolitan Church formed a gun violence prevention (GVP) group.
GVP Group Events
Sen. Chris Murphy at St. Mark's Episcopal Church
March 19, 4-6pm
DC Mom’s Demand Action’s next membership meeting will host Senator Chris Murphy, D-CT, speaking about gun violence legislation and the current Congressional climate. All are welcome! The meeting is at St. Mark's Episcopal Church - Capitol Hill, 301 A St, SE, Washington DC 20003. Please RSVP here.
"91 of Us" Project National Mall
March 18, 11-3pm
Chelsea Coatney with the Center for American Progress (email@example.com) is working with a Catholic University student to support her project titled "91 of Us" to uplift the lives of those lost to gun violence in the US every day. The event will include 91 people standing as representatives of the 91 we will lose that day and every day until changes are made. Groups will be present who can address issues of gun violence prevention, safe storage, mental health awareness and support, domestic violence prevention, etc. so that viewers can learn how to channel their emotion into action and participate in lowering this number from several different angles. If you would like to be a part of the project,sign up here. The Facebook event can be found here.
GVP Group Vision Statement:
A Nation Beyond Gun Violence
GVP Group Mission Statement:
- To educate about the causes and implications of gun violence and
- To advocate for laws that reduce gun violence to promote public health and public safety.
Our agenda items are:
- We support universal background checks for all gun purchases.
- We support a requirement that all guns be sold through licensed gun retailers.
- We support a ban on straw purchases, the act of buying a gun on behalf of someone else.
- We support a ban on sales to civilians of military assault type weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.
- We support the repeal of the Dickey Amendment which prohibits federal research on gun violence.
Join our Gun Violence Prevention Group
As we explore actionable steps to address the complicated problem of gun violence, we need many voices....young and old, gun owners and non-gun owners, victims and survivors. If interested, sign up here.