Gun Violence Prevention
Responding to the 2016 General Conference of the United Methodist Church Resolution #3428 “Our Call to End Gun Violence” and following the lead of the United Methodist General Board of Church and Society and national groups such as Faiths United, The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, Moms Demand Action and Everytown for Gun Safety, Metropolitan Church formed a gun violence prevention (GVP) group.
GVP Group Vision Statement:
A Nation Beyond Gun Violence
GVP Group Events
A Nation United for A Safer Future
May 3-4, Grand Hyatt Washington
1000 H Street NW
Join us for a two day event sponsored by Gabby Giffords' organization Americans for Responsible Solutions (ARS) and the Brady Campaign. Valerie Jarrett is keynote speaker on May 4. Registration for both days is required and is free until April 28th with promotion code: ARScomp Lois Weaver plans to attend.
GVP Group Mission Statement:
- To educate about the causes and implications of gun violence and
- To advocate for laws that reduce gun violence to promote public health and public safety.
Our agenda items are:
- We support universal background checks for all gun purchases.
- We support a requirement that all guns be sold through licensed gun retailers.
- We support a ban on straw purchases, the act of buying a gun on behalf of someone else.
- We support a ban on sales to civilians of military assault type weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.
- We support the repeal of the Dickey Amendment which prohibits federal research on gun violence.
Join our Gun Violence Prevention Group
As we explore actionable steps to address the complicated problem of gun violence, we need many voices....young and old, gun owners and non-gun owners, victims and survivors. If interested, sign up here.