Gun Violence Prevention
Responding to the 2016 General Conference of the United Methodist Church Resolution #3428 “Our Call to End Gun Violence” and following the lead of the United Methodist General Board of Church and Society and national groups such as Faiths United, The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, Moms Demand Action and Everytown for Gun Safety, Metropolitan Church formed a gun violence prevention (GVP) group.
GVP Group Events
February 2017 Food for Thought
Gun Violence and Our Communities
In the Great Hall, 7pm - 8:30pm
Join us in the Great Hall for our 4 week session that will involve explorations of the prevalence of gun violence and strategies for its prevention.
- February 1: Awareness: The extent of the problem and public policy responses. Speaker: Kathleen Krepps, DC Chapter Spokesperson, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America
- February 8: Our Communities: Who is most impacted and what communities can do. Speaker: Ryane B. Nickens, Lay Servant and Active Leader at Brighter Day UMC
- February 15: Policing: Its important role and what can go wrong. Speaker: Kenyan R. McDuffie, DC Councilmember Ward 5, Chairman Pro Tempore
- February 22: Suicide: The fact that 2/3 of U.S. gun deaths are suicides. Speaker: Eileen Zeller, Suicide Prevention Branch, Center for Mental Health Services for the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
GVP Group Mission Statement:
- To educate about the causes and implications of gun violence and
- To advocate for laws that reduce gun violence to promote public health and public safety.
Our agenda items are:
- We support universal background checks for all gun purchases.
- We support a requirement that all guns be sold through licensed gun retailers.
- We support a ban on straw purchases, the act of buying a gun on behalf of someone else.
- We support a ban on sales to civilians of military assault type weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.
- We support the repeal of the Dickey Amendment which prohibits federal research on gun violence.
Join our Gun Violence Prevention Group
As we explore actionable steps to address the complicated problem of gun violence, we need many voices....young and old, gun owners and non-gun owners, victims and survivors. If interested, sign up here.